It’s all about priorities.
The alleged Navy Yard shooter, Aaron Alexis, had a history of arrest
In early-July, a male roommate of Alexis’s called Fort Worth cops to report his suspicion that Alexis “put unknown substance in gas tank to damage vehicle,” according to a July 5 report. Alexis, who was killed today during a gun battle with police, was apparently a civilian computer contractor. Records show that Alexis, who was previously a full-time Navy reservist, has used the e-mail address email@example.com. According to Navy officials, Alexis served as a reservist from May 2007 until his January 2011 discharge. Alexis was assigned to a logistics support unit based in Fort Worth and achieved a final rank of Aviation Electrician’s Mate 3rd Class. Alexis was arrested for disorderly conduct in August 2008 in DeKalb County, Georgia. He was released from custody after posting $364 bond (and posing for a booking photo). The details and disposition of the misdemeanor case could not be obtained.
and mental illness.
Aaron Alexis, the Navy reservist who killed 12 in a massacre at Washington Navy Yard, had been treated for mental issues including paranoia, a sleep disorder and had been hearing voices, officials tell the Associated Press.
It’s not as though people were unaware of it:
U.S. law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that Alexis had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said. Alexis had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing.
The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.
Inexplicably, he apparently still maintained a “secret” clearance.
No clear motive has been established but there are hints:
He also felt racially discriminated against, and believed he had been financially “screwed” over a contracting job in Japan at the end of last year, friends said.
The Navy Yard was a gun-free zone (just like Fort Hood, Aurora and Sandy Hook) thanks to Bill Clinton:
After Nidal Hasan killed 13 and wounded more than 30 in November 2009, John R. Lott wrote about one of the craziest policies to come out of the Clinton era: making military bases “gun free zones.” Yes, that’s correct. In 1993, President Bill Clinton decreed that US military personnel were to surrender the Second Amendment rights that they swear an oath to support and defend. Lott, writing in 2009, called for that policy to be ended. Shouldn’t an army base be the last place where a terrorist should be able to shoot at people uninterrupted for 10 minutes? After all, an army base is filled with soldiers who carry guns, right? Unfortunately, that is not the case. Beginning in March 1993, under the Clinton administration, the army forbids military personnel from carrying their own personal firearms and mandates that “a credible and specific threat against [Department of the Army] personnel [exist] in that region” before military personnel “may be authorized to carry firearms for personal protection.” Indeed, most military bases have relatively few military police as they are in heavy demand to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Once again a mentally ill individual who should not have had a weapon and should not have had a security access commits a mass murder. Alexis is not the only one to slip past the vaunted United States Homeland Security department despite red lights flashing:
— In June 2009, Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad killed a soldier outside a recruiting station in Little Rock, Arkansas.
— Five months later, Major Nidal Malik Hasan shot and killed 13 people at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas.
— Shahzad’s 2010 attempt to bomb Times Square was foiled when his bomb did not ignite properly.
— Yonathan Melaku’s drive-by shooting of military facilities in Northern Virginia in 2011 produced no casualties.
— The Boston Marathon bombers killed four and wounded hundreds of others in April 2013.
And they still don’t catch these guys.
What they do catch is the Tea Party. Obama spends enormous amounts of time and dedicates huge amounts of resources to that goal. And they lie about it.
Congress’s investigation into the IRS targeting of conservatives has been continuing out of the Syria headlines, and it’s turning up news. Emails unearthed by the House Ways and Means Committee between former Director of Exempt Organizations Lois Lerner and her staff raise doubts about IRS claims that the targeting wasn’t politically motivated and that low-level employees in Cincinnati masterminded the operation.
In a February 2011 email, Ms. Lerner advised her staff—including then Exempt Organizations Technical Manager Michael Seto and then Rulings and Agreements director Holly Paz—that a Tea Party matter is “very dangerous,” and is something “Counsel and [Lerner adviser] Judy Kindell need to be in on.” Ms. Lerner adds, “Cincy should probably NOT have these cases.”
That’s a different tune than the IRS sang in May when former IRS Commissioner Steven Miller said the agency’s overzealous enforcement was the work of two “rogue” employees in Cincinnati. When the story broke, Ms. Lerner suggested that her office had been unaware of the pattern of targeting until she read about it in the newspaper. “So it was pretty much we started seeing information in the press that raised questions for us, and we went back and took a look,” she said in May.
If they’re not catching the bad guys, what then is the real purpose of all weaponization of the Federal divisions and the concentration of effort on conservatives?
If only Aaron Alexis had been a member of the Tea Party. Then Obama would have paid attention to him. Alexis had been cited eight times for misconduct in the military, had a history with the law and was mentally ill and still had a security clearance that allowed him to bypass the guards when entering the base.
If you want a scandal, there it is.
Now for the “You should wait for the facts before you make yourself look like an idiot” files:
Piers Morgan is simply unable to go two days without being a bone head.
“We have this debate every time,” he said. “I want the day to come when we don’t have to have this ridiculous debate time and again in America. AR-15, killing multiple Americans, I just cannot have this debate anymore and it’s ridiculous! Do something about it and the three gentlemen, who just came on, think about your position. Think about how it helps save American lives because it doesn’t! More guns is not the answer!”
And then there’s Lupica:
So it takes nine months and two days from Newtown, from 20 dead children and six adults, for someone else to carry the same kind of AR-15 that Adam Lanza carried into Sandy Hook Elementary School into the Washington Navy Yard.
They call semiautomatics like this sport rifles. You bet. Mostly for the sport of killing innocent people, and killing them fast.
No AR 15 was involved in the shootings.
Next I imagine Obama will want to profile all white Tea Party members because of this terrible event. You never want to let a crisis go to waste.
DrJohn has been a health care professional for more than 30 years. In addition to clinical practice he has done extensive research and has published widely with over 70 original articles and abstracts in the peer-reviewed literature. DrJohn is well known in his field and has lectured on every continent except for Antarctica. He has been married to the same wonderful lady for over 30 years and has three kids- two sons, both of whom are attorneys and one daughter on her way into the field of education.
DrJohn was brought up with the concept that one can do well if one is prepared to work hard but nothing in life is guaranteed.
Except for liberals being foolish.