Lib TV Hosts Lawrence O’Donnell explainedthat Congressman Weiner and other Libs that get caught up in scandal deserve a pass because they don’t preach against immoralities, but Republicans do preach and therefore they need to be held to a higher standard.
This argument is flawed for many reasons:
- Not every Republican campaigns on moral issues, and I don’t recall Democrats campaigning that having an affair is an acceptable thing. Therefore, why have different standards for Democrats vs. Republicans?
- If having an affair or any moral shortcoming is ok, why do Democrat politicians mostly hide it and/or lie about it before it goes public? Obviously, it is wrong regardless how you are on the campaign trail. Therefore, if it is wrong, live up to the music when it hits the fan despite having a D after your name.
- Just because a politician doesn’t care about morals doesn’t mean the nation needs to have in leadership people that are mocked worldwide and people that can be blackmailed to give up national security secrets in exchange for hiding their misdeeds (This is why it is important to know what exactly went wrong with Weiner’s Twitter Account).
- Wanting to shield our children from seeing perverted lifestyles or racy things at young ages, does not mean that Republicans have an issue that adults should do whatever they want in the privacy of their home.
- Trying to live with morals does not make a person an Angel. Battling temptations daily and having shortcoming is the norm. As such, a person with moralsshould not lose the ability to campaign for a purer America or speak out when people in powerful or public office do things that are wrong. Judging the other person is wrong; speaking out against it is the right thing to do regardless one’s own shortcomings.