U.N. Budget and U.S. Portion
Did you know that American taxpayers, through “assessed” dues, account for 22% of the United Nation‘s (U.N.) regular operating budget, and 27% of a separate peacekeeping budget? For comparison, China pays just 3%. The U.N. “proposes” an operating budget in 2012-2013 of $5.5 billion, and that currently employs 10,307 people. In 2010, U.S. payments totaled $3.35 billion, of which $2.67 billion was dedicated to the 16 peacekeeping operations worldwide. Additionally, the U.S. provides voluntarily billions of dollars in contributions for various U.N. agencies. Here is just one example.
For What We Are Paying – The U.N. Works Web page
Below are the ten areas in which the U.N. works. Let’s see just what sources say about their efforts. H/T to Andrew K. Dart for some article sources.
- Children – Here is information about how the U.N. ignores China’s “one child policy.” And here is just one example of how the U.N. spends money to spread its propaganda.
- Education – Here is an example of the work of United Nations Education Science Corporation Organization (UNESCO). And the United Nations Council is on a list of accrediting agencies are not recognized as college accreditors in the U.S. by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation or the U.S. Department of Education.
- Poverty – Here is an example of how the U.N. has provided food and shelter since 1950! And here is another example of how the U.N. combats poverty.
- Peace – The U.N. ironies just don’t stop. Here is an example of the U.N.’s “peace” activities.
- Health – U.N. “peacekeepers” from Bangladesh introduce cholera into Haiti.
- HIV/AIDS – Two new books are forcing the UN’s AIDS program to defend itself against claims that it put politics before health.
- Human Rights – The recent movement by the U.N. to recognize Palestine as a state proves human rights campaign to be a hoax. And here is information about the U.N.’s “human rights nightmare.”
- Climate Change – UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says that humans are causing a climate crisis is a hoax.
- Emergencies – Here is an example of how the U.N. handles emergencies.
- Women – The U.N. has created something called U.N. Women. The combined budgets of the four existing women’s departments at the U.N. (which will be consolidated into U.N. Women) constitute about $220 million. Advocates for this new agency are demanding a budget of $1 billion.
House Foreign Affairs Committee chairwoman Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) said it was important to make a stand for “the principles that we believe in.” She filed, and has 74 co-sponsors (all Republicans), the U.N. Transparency, Accountability, and Reform Act (H.R. 2829), seeking to change the way the U.N. is funded, allowing the U.S. and other member states to fund only those activities and agencies deemed efficient and in the national interest. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she would recommend that President Obama veto the bill if it reaches his desk.
The committee’s senior Democrat, Rep. Howard Berman (D-CA), said the “real agenda” behind the bill was to end U.S. participation in the U.N. and to “deal a fatal financial blow to the world body.”
Ros-Lehtinen cited repressive regimes’ membership on the Human Rights Council, a continuing anti-Israel bias, the elevation of states such as North Korea and Iran to leadership positions in various bodies, and various corruption scandals. “Every year, scores of member countries that contribute almost nothing to the U.N. vote together to pass the budget. Then they pass the costs on to big donors like the U.S.” BTW, Ros-Lehtinen is a Cuban exile, a staunch critic of repressive regimes, and is adamantly pro-life.
Before the committee met, the U.N. Foundation released a poll, saying that 64% of American citizens said they supported the U.S. “paying our dues to the U.N. on time and in full,” while 31% said they opposed this.
The Conclusion I Reach
If there has ever been a more arrogant, self-serving organization that wastes money and is fraudulent, is scandal-ridden, is consistently proven wrong, that has lost its focus, that is NO LONGER serving its original purpose, the hoax that is the U.N. has to be it.
BTW, I acknowledge that some of these sources are not current, but do you REALLY think the U.N. will clean up its act?
But that’s just my opinion.
Crossposted at RWNO, my personal web site.