6 Jul

ATF Gunwalker Scandal – Director Melson Blows The Whistle?

                                       

Will the MSM finally start paying attention to this story now?

In a blockbuster development in the Operation Fast & Furious gun-running scandal, Acting ATF Director Kenneth Melson secretly testified before House and Senate investigators on July 4 with his own personal lawyer present, former United States Attorney Richard Cullen, without the knowledge of the ATF or the Department of Justice.

This morning, House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa and Senate Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Charles Grassley released a copy of a letter they sent to Attorney General Eric Holder on July 5 about Melson’s testimony. Melson’s revelations raise even more serious issues not only about the operation itself, but about apparent attempts by the Justice Department to mislead Congress on the details of the operation.

The transcript of this interview has not been released of course but the letter from Issa and Grassley is pretty startling itself.

…His interview had originally been scheduled through the Justice Department to occur on July 13 in the presence of DOJ and ATF counsel. As you know, however, under our agreement Department witnesses who choose to attend a voluntary interview with their own lawyer are free to exercise that right rather than participate with counsel representing the Department’s interests.

After being made aware of that provision of our agreement, Acting Director Melson chose to exercise that right and appeared with his own lawyer. We are disappointed that no one had previously informed him of that provision of the agreement. Instead, Justice Department officials sought to limit and control his communications with Congress.

No evidence of cover up….yet.

But there are two twists to this story that should ring some alarm bells.

The first one, DOJ officials failed to tell Melson he could testify with his own lawyer instead of department lawyers.  That is curious.

The second twist?

He was about to be ousted from his position when he tried to tell the DOJ that the ATF operation was in fact FUBAR’d

Melson provided detailed information and documents to the Office of the Deputy Attorney General at the Justice Department. But that information was not given to Congress by then-Acting Deputy Attorney General James Cole. In fact, “Melson was not allowed to communicate to Congress” and “Justice Department officials directed [ATF’s senior leadership] not to respond and took full control of replying to briefing and document requests from Congress.”  According to the letter Issa and Grassley sent to Holder, it was “two days after [Melson] told [Cole] about serious issues involving lack of information sharing” that the Wall Street Journal suddenly reported that Melson was about to be ousted by the Obama administration.

Bells should be ringing right about now.

Why would some information sharing issues cause this much consternation inside Obama’s DOJ?  Because those ‘shot-callers’ inside the gun trafficking groups that the ATF sought to identify with this operation may have ALREADY been known by other Federal agencies.   So well known in fact, they may have been paid informants by the other agencies.

That’s some serious problems.

And someone, or some people, pretty high up in the DOJ appear to have wanted all this to go away instead of investigating.

Sounds familiar?

We don’t know how deep this rabbit hole is yet but it’s getting more interesting by the day.

About Curt

Curt served in the Marine Corps for four years and has been a law enforcement officer in Los Angeles for the last 20 years.
This entry was posted in American Intelligence, Barack Obama, Congress, Deception and Lies, Law, Law Enforcement, Politics. Bookmark the permalink. Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 at 5:59 pm
| 782 views

16 Responses to ATF Gunwalker Scandal – Director Melson Blows The Whistle?

  1. Dave Brickner says: 1

    It reminds me of Nixon’s Justice dept letting L. Patrick Gray just “twist in the wind”!

    ReplyReply
  2. Wm T Sherman says: 2

    A third rate burglary. Nothing to see here.

    ReplyReply
  3. Skookum says: 3

    The ligature tightens around Holder’s neck.

    ReplyReply
  4. Wm T Sherman says: 4

    The people who got shot dead with these Federal Government sponsored weapons were all in flyover country.

    Boring.

    ReplyReply
  5. Smorgasbord says: 5

    It might be a rabbit hole on the top, but underneath I am guessing it is Mammoth Cave or bigger and getting bigger. If we keep letting the foundation under our USA erode, it will fall into the sinkhole and be swollowed up.

    ReplyReply
  6. Warren says: 6

    Another good post about the MSM from Curt.

    Yes, Curt, bells are certainly ringning. Holder’s position is starting to unravel. Is Obama next?

    ReplyReply
  7. Aye says: 7

    What did the President know and when did he know it?

    ReplyReply
  8. Adirondack Patriot says: 8

    Gunwalker operations were also conducted in Tampa? To Honduras?

    This is getting too big to cover up.

    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/breaking-news-source-claims-atf-s-tampa-sac-walked-guns-to-honduras

    ReplyReply
  9. Ivan says: 9

    And remember how people screamed about Iran-Contra? This is far, far bigger than that program.

    At least with that incident we were trying to free our CIA operatives in Lebanon.

    ReplyReply
  10. joetote says: 10

    Here’s a little more on this I found today cruising the web!

    “Guns were found at the scene of a high profile kidnapping and murder in Mexico involved in what has been described as a government operation gone terribly wrong. This is the latest revelation in the investigation of Operation Fast and Furious. The murder of Border Agent Brian Terry, allegedly committed with these guns, has brought scrutiny to the operation.
    William La Jeunesse confirms that two of the guns sold to the Mexican cartels under the secret U.S. government program were used in the kidnapping and murder of Mario Gonzales Rodriguez, a lawyer and brother to a prominent Mexican official.”

    An we’re to believe that the DOJ wasn’t involved in this?

    ReplyReply
  11. Aye says: 11

    Ladies and Gentlemen….feast your eyes on this one.

    Project Gunrunner was funded by…wait for it…wait for it…it was funded by the stimulus bill.

    Here’s the Inspector General’s report. Refer to page 110.

    ReplyReply
  12. mathman says: 12

    Bang the drum.
    Make a lot of noise.
    Write letters to the Editor (any periodical).
    Get attention.
    Write your congress critters.
    Annoy your friends. Bother your enemies.
    It is our tax dollars that were used to supply Mexican gangs with weapons.
    It was an evil decision, made by an illegitimate, evil regeime, and we have thus far learned of only the first death. Many more deaths are still to come.
    FUBAR does not do this program justice. It was a program which, had adults been in charge, would never have begun.
    And the perpetrators of this atrocity should be hanged by the neck until dead.

    ReplyReply
  13. mafia stuff, mafia style

    ReplyReply
  14. Ditto says: 14

    Democrats believe that “the buck stops here” only applies to Republican administrations.

    ReplyReply
  15. Nan G says: 15

    @Adirondack Patriot:

    Why was Obama and the DOJ and ATF sending arms to Honduras?

    History Lesson……..

    Now we know why Hillary Clinton and Obama were falling all over themselves to support and prop-up the Honduran Marxist dictator-wannabe, Manuel Zelaya back in 2009.

    I never could figure out why they would create such blatantly unflattering, pro-Marxist optics for the Obama regime for a small country like Honduras.

    Now it all makes perfect sense.

    Zelaya attempted to overthrow the Honduran constitution and install himself as dictator for life, a la Hugo Chavez.

    The Honduran Congress AND Supreme Court followed their Constitutional Rule of Law to the letter and removed Zelaya.

    Within hours Obama and Clinton were threatening Honduras and demanding that the Marxist dictator Zelaya be re-installed.

    Now we know why.

    Obama and Clinton were arming Zelaya and were coordinating with Zelaya to run arms through Honduras.

    Presumably the deal was that some of the arms would stay with Zelaya and most would move into Mexico from the South.

    Then, Obama and Clinton could “find” U.S. guns in Southern Mexico and Central America, and thus use these optics to bolster their false contention that “90%” of Mexican guns were sourced directly from the U.S.

    More here.
    Gunwalker: Laying it all out.
    Posted by Ann Barnhardt
    http://barnhardt.biz/

    (Ann is the lady who used bacon strips to bookmark her Koranic quotes before she read them then set them on fire, in case you have forgotten.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AnnBarnhardt?feature=mhum#p/f/13/HAWokVI0i8g

    ReplyReply
  16. Nan G, as usual, outstanding, I realy like the WRITTER, AND ALL THE MESSAGES
    AND THE VIDEOS,
    A REAL GEM , THANK YOU.
    VERY BELEIVEBLE TOO

    ReplyReply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

 

Switch to our mobile site